Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Floored!

Today was all about the flooring. So far so good!


When we picked it I was a little concerned it might be too dark, but I think it looks really good so far. The house really does get quite a bit of natural light, which helps. Okay, the pic on the right isn't light, but it was also with no flash.


We carried it all through the hallways, but went for a lighter look in the boys' bathroom. To be honest I have no idea what we picked for our bathroom or the laundry. I'm guessing that one's kind of dark to help hide whatever the boys drag in. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow!


























In other news,no closets yet. But I finally got through to the septic installer! He was a day away from being replaced. They're supposed to be here either Friday or Monday. In theory the septic system will be in by the end of next week. Here's hoping!

I also wanted to talk about the pantry. Yes, it is hinged on the left side, so the door swings toward the kitchen instead of away, which would make more sense. I figured it was one of those things we overlooked during the planning, and it wouldn't be that big a deal. If it drove me crazy I'd just have B change it. He would be thrilled.

Anyway, I looked at our blueprints, and it shows door opening the correct way. So I texted Kasey, who said he'd look into it and get back to me. He checked the blueprints we signed off on, which were different than the prints we had. All I can figure is that when the final prints were drawn up that was switched. We did flip the floor plan, so I see how it could happen. When we did the final approval we missed it. But Kasey is going to fix it, even though we signed off on it. This is just another example of the outstanding customer service we've had with WH.











11 comments:

  1. I asked this originally on the wrong date, so I'll ask again here. How complicated was the process to get your septic system installed and what kind are you getting. This is our biggest obstacle right now. Everyone is saying (if we pass perc) that it could cost $20-30,000. Does that sound right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry- I don't remember seeing that comment. When talking about septic systems please keep in mind that what I'm telling you is our situation, in our county. For your build check with your county health department- they’re very helpful and try to make the process as painless as possible.

    B handled the initial part of this process, but this is what I remember. The septic system process starts with a permit from the health department. Someone from the HD came out to the lot to approve the site. That was done last spring. As we got closer we had to get another permit with another inspection. We had to know the layout of the lot (lot lines, location of the house, propane tank, leach field, well, etc.), number of bedrooms, and the person who was installing the system. The woman we’re working with was extremely helpful and made some suggestions as to where to move the leach field. We initially had it running horizontally, which would have cut across a lot of tiles in our field. She suggested we move it to a different location so it could run vertically and not break as many tiles.

    There are two kinds of systems, and I believe which kind you get depends on the size of your house. We’re getting a regular system, which will cost around $10000. Friends of ours built a 4,000 sq. ft. house and had to get the mound system. From costs I have heard it’s easily $20000. Once again- talk to your HD. In any case, also make sure you have money set aside for fees. I’m guessing ours were close to $1000 just for well/septic permits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another question...do you remember what it costs to have wayne homes paint your rooms with a color other than white?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy are you building in Wood County? I belive that they require the mound septic. We just got our permit for that yesterday. I also belive it was $250 per color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly don't remember about the paint colors. I do remember thinking it wasn't worth it for us. As for the septic, call your health department.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi...I love your floors but my eye went straight to those light fixtures in your kitchen. Stunning. You asked about the planters on my porch. We got them from Frontgate but they aren't in the catalog anymore. They are available at Gardener's Supply. http://www.gardeners.com/Fairfield-Patio-Planter/39-342,default,pd.html?start=7&cgid=PotsPlanters_SelfWateringPlanters
    Thanks for visiting my blog...I'm a new follower! So where do you live in Ohio? I'm in Findlay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aonymous-We're building in Allegheny county in Pennsylvania. I just haven't seen any blogs there. Ann-do you have a blog on here too? I like to read them all, so if you have a web address, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering what kind of flooring did you use in your great room? I love it! We have three children and I would love wood but need something really durable too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we were planning the house I knew I wanted the same flooring throughout the main living areas. I don't like carpet for the family room portion because I think it visually chops up the space. So whatever we chose had to work in a kitchen, but also in the family room. So the flooring....

    Believe it or not- it's vinyl. I did a lot of research on flooring, and decided this was a very economical, durable, easy-to-clean choice. It's also a little softer underfoot, which is nice. This pattern is textured, and looks much more natural than the laminate we have in our current house. Someday we’ll replace the floors, but we didn’t want to invest a lot until there’s no chance of little people running around with cleats on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-it is goregous. I agree wholeheartedly with you on the "visually chopping" thing. I really want the same flooring throughout my living space as well. Was this vinyl a choice from Wayne Homes, or did you purchase it elsewhere? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete