Friday, July 25, 2014

...two years later...

When I started this blog I had every intention of keeping it updated and answering every question as it came up. It's pretty obvious that didn't happen. There were two little curveballs threw us- one great, one not so much.

We  closed on our house in early June, and were taking our time moving. We were waiting on some new furniture, slowing sorting and packing up our old house. And then the derecho hit.

It blew in all the west-facing windows at our old house, and caused all kinds of damage. We had a tree in our family room, and the entire house was soaked and full of pine needles. We moved that night.

It was a horrible, horrible experience, and I was so grateful we had somewhere to go. My brother went to Lowes to get  us a generator, my husband left to take care of people who needed help, and the boys and I went to WalMart to buy pillows, some clothes and enough food and drinks to get us through the night.

I'm not going to bore you with details, but I will tell you the gentle transition to our new home didn't happen, and it took months to get settled. I'm sure you're wondering how our house fared. Well, these were our neighbor's houses:


 Note the blue tarps.  Our house:



No tarp. The only damage we had was on the west side siding. Considering those winds snapped trees in half and blew apart entire barns, I'll take it. Wayne Homes came out and fixed the siding, even though it wasn't their responsibility.

I hadn't thought about that storm in a long time. Time to move on...

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how quickly these two years have passed , now you have a beautiful and functional house. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up! Even tho its almost 5 years later this detailed process really helps a potential home builder. It's very overwhelming trying to find accurate concise information on custom home building. This gave some great insight. Thanks for the time

    ReplyDelete